Friday, September 17, 2010

Otzi Discussion/Video

Today we read about Otzi, otherwise known as the Ice Man. We also watched a short 6 or 7 minute video showing his remains and the artifacts found with him. We had an interesting discussion about him based on those remains and listened to some theories about who he was and what he was doing at the time of his death. We were also able to watch the scientists perform an archaeological experiment.

We also spent some time discussing the before, during, and after reading strategy which will be used in this class. We will use this for the first time on Monday. I decided to alter my plans a little bit because I felt it made more sense to talk about the Ice Man first.

Finally, we talked about notebook checks. I will look at students notebooks from time to time (my goal is twice a quarter) and I will focus on the following contents: Questions of the Day, BDA Reading Notes, Maps, and Notes/Handouts. All students should have a notebook/binder in which they keep everything organized by date.

5 comments:

Cameron-3 said...

Is it ok if we have our class notes/BDA notes in a spiral notebook, and our Question of the Day using filler paper and keeping it in our S.S. section our binder??
P.S. interesting about the Ice Man. :)

BradleyK 6 said...

Iceman thing was odd, but very interesting! ()_)Marshmellow! (copyright by Mack)

MacK 1 said...

I thought the iceman was very interesting. I cannot belive the body can stay like that for sooooooooooooo long!

Mr. Winand said...

@Cameron-You can use the spiral notebook for the QOD, BDA notes, and class notes; everything else can be kept in a section of a binder. As long as you have everything you need and are organized I will be happy.

@Brad-Nice use of the copyright!

@Mack-I am amazed as well!

margo :) said...

In what year did they find Utzi how did they know what they wore.Utzi is very interesting.