Thursday, February 10, 2011

And that is how democracy impacted the world...

In the short class that we had today, we spent much of the period talking about the ways in which democracy has impacted the world...

How practical is democracy?  Can we get 100 people together?  A thousand?  A million?  A billion?  That would not be an easy feat, nor would it be something that we could do on a regular basis...

The truth is that the democracy of ancient Greece has INSPIRED many other groups of people to seek a style of government where they have a voice.  In the case of the United States, it is a Republic.  A republic is NOT the same as a democracy, but it does have democratic principals.  In a republic, the masses elect representatives who govern (and are supposed to act in their best interest of the people).  Although there are flaws in the systems in place around the world, many of the ideas that we cherish come from the ancient Greeks!

Any questions?

Note:  Tomorrow we will begin to look at a modern political map of the countries of Europe.  All students will have time to work on the map AND ask questions in class tomorrow.  There will be a quiz in a week!

6 comments:

Cameron-3 I still need a nickname. said...

Will the test just have the vocabulary and the two essential questions?

MacK 6 said...

I have my powerpoint done!!!! I got a nickname for you Cameron. It should be Leah Lover!!!! HEHE! I'm cruel!!! :)

Leah Lover. said...

Hey mr.winand...as we were talking about the president of egypt staying in egypt..he was making a resignation. How ironic.

Mr. Winand said...

@Leah Lover - There you go! History in the making... To be honest, I am surprised that he left so abruptly. I thought he claimed that he would 'die' in Egypt. Perhaps that won't be the case! What do you think?

Mr. Winand said...

@Cameron - Yes! There will be two essential questions and you will have to define a bunch of vocabulary terms (I haven't decided how many yet).

Leah Lover. Last time I will use this nickname. said...

I think that he'll die of guilt and stress. I'm not really sure. Or he might go into hiding, but stay in Egypt.